Saturday, 1 November 2014

Bloggers' quilt festival - my original peacock

This is the quilt I didn't submit in time for the last bloggers' festival but am submitting for this one.
I made this quilt for my niece, who wanted a teal coloured quilt.

First, I drew a small scale drawing 
 Then glued together long strips of grease proof paper, to draw the entire quilt at full scale.

I made the body, then sewed the tail together.

Each eye is made from four different fabrics, with two of them needle turned applique and the smallest and largest machine appliqued.  Fifty three eyes later........

The back was made, basting done and it was quilting on my sewing machine.  I quilted the fern design from Angela Walter's book on the tail sections of the peacock.  The label information was part of the quilting, then it was bound, washed, dried and sent off to my niece.

Here is the back of the quilt.  I made it in japanese fabrics and wanted to make the back useable, in case she wanted a change.  Hopefully I succeeded.


  1. Wow, what a spectacular quilt! Such a lot of work and detail, well done - you should be super proud!

  2. Wow! This is gorgeous! Truly one of a kind, and totally quilt-show worthy!

  3. Very fun quilt! That peacock is wonderful.:)

  4. this is stunning!


Hello. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read any comments you might wish to leave and try to email everyone who comments. I don't normally reply on the comment page :)