Saturday, 25 May 2013

Shrinking violet

Thirty of the blocks are now joined together.

When I first laid out this quilt, I thought I had cut too many spiderwebs. I was wrong.

This was my initial layout.

I thought that 3 large webs wide and 3.5 high would be big enough.

After sewing the many, many, many seams, here is the revised layout. You can see how much the middle section has shrunk, from all those seam allowances. It will now be 3.5 large webs wide and 4 high, so I have to make another 5 or so half webs and lots more kites.

The quilt has shrunk, but I don't think its a shrinking violet, more of a loud, brash gerbera. This was never meant to be a quiet, peaceful quilt.

Because everything is on the bias, my piecing the sections together has not gone as well as I first planned, however I don't mind. I like the overall effect and don't think that the jagged joins really spoil the look - since when were spiderwebs perfect anyway!
The top is becoming very heavy- this should be a very warm sofa or bed quilt - depends on how big I end up making it. I don't think this quilt will want any fancy quilting - It's far too busy for that.


Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Bloggers' festival

I started a quilt for a work colleague who decided to move back to Darwin. She really wanted my version of Kentuckii Botannica, but that was for someone else and has already been given, so I decided to make something in the same colours, but different. I won't make the same quilts again. As I didn't have too much time, I decided to make an improv star quilt, with lots of negative space for what I enjoy - the quilting!

All pieced and basted

The only thing I had decided was that all the stars should be in the process of moving, so I quilted the main stars with trails. After that, I used fillers to complete the middle section of the quilt.
Detail of some of the middle.
after that, I then decided to quilt each of the four elements in each corner of the quilt - fire (sun)' water, wind and the earth, represented by plants.

I am linking up to
And am entering the home machine quilting and throw quilt categories? I hope you enjoy these pictures.

Wednesday, 8 May 2013

WIP Wednesday - spiderweb update

Not much seems to have changed since last week on my design wall. I have made quite a few more kites, but there are still lots of empty spaces!

I've moved some of the webs around and still have to make a few more changes before I'm happy with the layout, but on the whole, it's going well. It's also a lot faster than I originally envisaged, as I thought it might take me a year or two to finish:). The fabric on the floor is a flannelette I bought to possibly use for the backing - little old fashioned telephones. It might be a bit cute for this quilt, but the colours work.

Piecing of the kites is very wasteful, but tonight, I figured out a way to use less fabric, so I'm happy with that. Here is my rubbish after making two kite sets. Hopefully I won't have as much left over from now on.

I'm linking up to the Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday at