Pages

Friday 1 November 2013

Bloggers quilt festival - double spiderweb

I made this quilt over four or five months this year and am entering it in the scrappy quilt section of Amy's quilt festival. http://amyscreativeside.com/2013/10/25/bloggers-quilt-festival-scrappy-quilts/. I have been buying other peoples scraps for earlier quilts but then saw a quilt with pieced kites some where in blog land.

It obsessed me. I took a month or so deciding on the pattern construction and then cut multiple strips from every fabric I had. They were all left hanging on coat hangers so I could decide what to put where. The construction took quite a while, particularly the pieced kites and I couldn't have finished the layout without a design board.

I have shown this quilt before but never took a finished picture. I bound it a couple of months ago and was using it even before I finished the quilting! Here it is, the double spiderweb.

I quilted each web with a web, but quilted each kite with a different quilting design.
The colours of the flannelette backing works well with the front.
Here it is, in it's rightful place. Some might think this is too busy, but I love it. So does my dog?
 I'm also entering Amy's competition to win a Baby Lock Melody, although I don't think it can be shipped to Australia :}  I'd love to have a good machine to be set up just for piecing, and leave my Janome for FMQ.

11 comments:

  1. I nominated this quilt for viewers choice. I love it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too cool - I've never seen a spiderweb in a kaleidoscope-style before, let alone a double!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-you've taken scrappy to new heights and I do love scrappy! Beautiful work and such a happy feel to the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy but pretty! I Just voted for it to be best scrap quilt. I hope you win!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super gorgeously cool - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I love your quilt so much I have just voted for it!
    Awesome job x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so different, and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning quilt! Worth all the planning and effort.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read any comments you might wish to leave and try to email everyone who comments. I don't normally reply on the comment page :)