Pages

Tuesday 30 April 2013

What's on my new design wall

Hooray, I have made a design wall, following the not very successful flannel backed tablecloth pegged to the wall. This was simply too mobile and fabric kept falling off when i turned the lights off or on, so I headed to the hardware shop to see what was available to build a cheap semi rigid design wall.  For the spiderweb quilt, I really need a design wall, as my dog loves to walk on the floor, and ther are too many sections of this quilt to keep picking them up and relaying them again.

In Australia, we don't have the same products that everyone seems to use to make design walls. I ended up buying some sheets of 3 mm mdf, cutting them down to size, and supporting them in a cheap pine frame which I glued to the back of the mdf. Photos in my next post.

Once I covered one with the vinyl tablecloth, I went to a fabric shop to find something for the second panel of the design wall. Bargain - the flannelette was on sale for $3 metre, so I bought 10 m of plain white and 5m of a cute typewriter print. I now have two panels measuring 2.1m (7ft) high and 6 ft wide together. I need to make one more panel to make the whole thing big enough to lay out a full queen size quilt on its side.

As soon as the panels were up, I laid out the finished sections of my spiderweb quilt. They don't all fit! I've still got a couple of webs to lay out and strps cut for another ten. :(. Seems I've made too many, so I have to decide what to do with them. I've made 7 kites so far and they are much slower than the web sections, as they are paper pieced with eight sections for each kite block. I love how they look though.  I'm linking up with Wip wednesday at Freshly Pieced.  http://www.freshlypieced.com/

I have to decide whether I'll make two lap quilts or a super sized quilt and use some of the strips for the kites.

Above is my design wall so far.


14 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! I think it deserves to be a super sized quilt after all that work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, and will be an amazing quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I was making this one for me, but if my twenty something niece likes it, she might be able to twist my arm

    ReplyDelete
  4. This picture caught my eye from WIP...what beautiful blocks! I'm so glad the design wall worked out that well and you were able to share these lovelies with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great blocks. It will be a very interesting quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks are wonderful, it will be a fabulous quilt when you are finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, that quilt is mesmerizing! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Love the pieced kites in with the spiderwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look wonderful and congratulations on the design wall! I couldn't work without mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is beautiful!!! It is going to be such an amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is such a neat quilt! i love the scrappy look and the design - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kind of like it with some white space to emphasize the webs. Its wonderful. How fun to get maybe 2 projects out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I think I might just make it 6 x7 ft, as my bed isn't huge and I don't think my niece wants it. That's fine with me as I love how this quilt is turning out.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read any comments you might wish to leave and try to email everyone who comments. I don't normally reply on the comment page :)