Pages

Sunday 9 June 2013

Not quite a finish and not quite Friday

This weekend is a long one, thanks to the Queen's birthday (which isn't actually in June).In between getting ready for people to come over for dinner on Saturday, I finally sewed all the blocks together, completing the last one about half an hour before they arrived. The piecing ended up being pretty wonky, given the number of angles and all the bulky seams. There are over 2,500 pieces in this quit, which currently measures 73 x 84 inches. Not big enough for a bed, but plenty big enough for the sofa in the coming winter. I'm using wool batting and flannelette for the back, to make sure its nice and warm.Today, I sewed the backing together and spray basted the quilt - using 505 basing spray which I bought when I went to a little quilt show a couple of weeks ago. I have tried using the Birch basting spray several times and have always been disappointed, having to pin baste the quilt top.The 505 worked really well and today, I stitched in the ditch of each of the blocks. I'm linking up to http://richardquilts.blogspot.com as I've finished the top, basting and SID!I didn't want to put a border on this baby - it would look too organised - so i sewed a scant 1/4ish around the edges of the quilt. This is in an attempt to stop crazy bias edge distortions when I quilt.

Colour detail

More colour
I wasn't sure about this combination, but now I like it

For some reason, my camera doesn't like to take clear pictures of this quilt, and distorts the colours - maybe there are so many it gets confused. The colours in the blocks above are reasonably true to life.Any suggestions on how to quilt this one, now I have done the utility stitching? I was thinking of spiderwebs, but that might be a little obvious.

 

14 comments:

  1. I love this! It's on my to do list! I'm not too sure on the final quilting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda. It's taken quite a few months to draw the pattern, select colours and piece it. Fun and frustrating at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely gorgeous quilt!!! It sings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I think it's going to be a heavy sucker!

      Delete
  5. That's stunning! I love the pattern! There is a really pretty quilting pattern that Jacquie of Tallgrass Prairie Studio did on her spiderweb that you might like - http://tallgrassprairiestudio.blogspot.ch/2010/03/artistry-passion-collaboration.html. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elita. That one has lovely quilting by Angela Walters. I'm I bit worried that mine wouldn't be as nice on a DSM.

      Delete
  6. It is lovely! I would keep the quilting simple, because it is not going to show up on the colorful top. If it were my top I would stitch around the circles, the outside and at least one on the inside. I would not do any stitching on the straight lines, but only the circles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joni. I think I'll only end up making a decision when I sit down to quilt it. I agree that not much will show on the top, but quilting is my favourite part of the process!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous quilt! How did you get the design to make webs on the "kite" templates? I've looked around the Internet but no luck. Please oh please make a simple tutorial.
    Beth in USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Beth. I'll try to put up a very simple tutorial. I don't buy patterns but draft them if I need them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great arrangement. I have made a similar quilt only with a black fabric in between the 'webs' and also taking some time to come up with a quilting design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! just, WOW! this quilt is absolutely fantastic! I have seen many spiderweb quilts with solid background, but I haven't ever seen one where the background was pieced with strings as well! just awesome!

    by the way- I just started a new link party today- Needle and Thread Thursday. It will be open through Friday though, so you should stop over and link up!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bit late to the party I know but that is one incredible quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read any comments you might wish to leave and try to email everyone who comments. I don't normally reply on the comment page :)