Sunday, 13 January 2013

Double nine patch update

I gave my mother the Dresden plate lap quilt yesterday.  I think she liked it.

In the last week or two, I've done lots of utility stitching for my sister's red and white double nine patch quilt, set on point.  I had basted the blocks on my old sewing machine, but simply couldn't do the main quilting on it, as it didn't fit into the harp space so I could move it at all.

I unpicked the couple of continuous curve blocks i had already done and redid them on my new machine.  I have now basted the large nine patch blocks and some of the small nine patch blocks, as I wanted to see if "every stinking seam" did make a difference.  This basting was done with water dissolving thread.

At the end of the day, I don't think my original basting was good enough to warrant basting the small nine patches.

I have now done continuous curves on 37 of the double nine patch blocks.  Only five left to do!  Then 30 white blocks, 22 half triangles, 4 corner triangles and three borders.  There are over 2200 pieces in this quilt, excluding the back.  

Here is a picture of the utility quilting (and the continuous curves). I didn't bother trying to get the utility lines too straight. Hopefully they do wash out :)

I still have to decide what to quilt in the white blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read any comments you might wish to leave and try to email everyone who comments. I don't normally reply on the comment page :)